ABOUT ROBERTA BOFFO
Roberta Boffo (b. 1986) is an intuitive Italian artist based in the small town of Motta di Livenza, in Treviso, Italy. Her medium of choice is ink on paper and acrylic on canvas; her practice includes various techniques interlaced into highly detailed, subtly mind-boggling, monochromatic artworks that are a window into her horror vacui and her obsessive love for simplicity, challenge and the space between pain and pleasure.
She has been an avid creator from an early age when she was designing for her parents’ fashion business, in Oderzo, in the Veneto region. In her teenage years, she moved to undertake studies in Chinese and Asian languages and cultures at Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, which brought her to Beijing, China, in 2008. In Beijing, she studied business and marketing at Capital Normal University and spent a few years in the education field before moving to Hong Kong in 2015.
In Hong Kong Roberta established her art studio and gallery where she worked full time as a professional artist. After her first solo show in June, 2018 in Hong Kong being a success, Roberta has participated and shown her work in several exhibitions and shows, including the Asia Contemporary Art Show, and the Affordable Art Fair Hong Kong. She is a published artist, with her artworks belonging to private collections around the world.
In December 2022, Roberta moved her studio to her birth town of Motta di Livenza in Italy, where she keeps producing and showing her art.
Head over to the shop section to browse her collection of artworks; and follow Roberta’s art on social media platforms (@robertaboffoart) for daily insights into her artistic journey and process.
Boffo’s art speaks of her quest for freedom and peace, highlighting its therapeutic and meditative power. In her process of creation, Italian Artist Roberta Boffo becomes a vessel bringing a projection of her mind and all its secrets to life, whilst nourishing peace back into herself.
“I am at the mercy of my emotions and moods most of the time. It can be so frustrating, but when I make art, I cease to exist, my emotions become quiet and, in that process, I become numb, I succumb to a dark, sunken place. It is only in this place where my emotional self ceases to exist, and all that is in my head, my heart and my subconscious just flows onto the paper. I love this feeling, because in my art I stop being who I am and I become all sorts of things: I become a language that only I can speak, I become symbols that only I can understand. I become simplicity, the ultimate simplicity. I reside in one state only: I am peaceful.”
Greatly inspired by calligraphy and its gestural movements, Italian Artist Roberta Boffo creates monochromatic, laborious, intricate and yet, harmonious compositions. These works are driven by nothing short of an obsessive compulsive need for infinite repetition and are born as a form of escapism into the transcendence of an unintelligible artistic language and the peace of mind that comes along with it.
As an artist, Boffo takes you into the journey of seemingly abstract and surreal art. In an intuitive and spontaneous way, Boffo’s juxtapositions within her artworks and unwavering determination in her quest for artistic freedom offer viewers the opportunity to experience the inexhaustible powers of the human mind – the artist’s herself, caught up between genius and madness.
Since an early age, Boffo was drawn to the color black and now after many years, she realizes that her crave for a balance between black and white is the driving force behind the desire to instill balance in her own life.
“Black and white and the degree of greys that I achieve in my works with just a pen or a brush are all I need to feel at peace. I am drawn to my art; it feels like decluttering my soul and mind. I also love being surrounded by my artworks. I find that seeing the results of my own creativity is very inspiring to the making of new work.”
THREE KEYS: SIMPLICITY, CHALLENGE & EFFORT
“There are three elements that are the cornerstones of each work: simplicity, challenge and force. I always look at my art as the simplest of all things and it is that hidden simplicity that allows for such intricacies and laborious journeys. I always seek challenge: growth happens when you are placed under pressure, that is where transformation and evolution begin. Finally, I believe in maximum effort. With force and intensity the body as well as our abilities expand, hatching out of their current state to become stronger, fitter and greater.”
- 2023, “Pop-up Exhibition” SAV Gallery x Hotel Byron, group exhibition, curated by Stefania Arrivabene, Hotel Byron, Forte deli Marmi, Italy
- 2022 “Aethereus: A Language Beyond Its Time” solo exhibition, RAH Gallery, Hong Kong
- 2022 “Affordable Art Fair”, Roberta Boffo x Creative Hub, partner exhibition curated by Regina Zhang and live bespoke mural painting performance, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong
- 2021 “Slightly Mad” solo exhibition, curated by George Zafirov director of HKI Gallery, HKI Gallery, Hong Kong
- 2021 “In The House” collective exhibition, curated by HKARTS, Soho House, Hong Kong
- 2021 “Affordable Art Fair”, collective exhibition curated by HKARTS, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong
- 2021 “Roberta Boffo x DiVino Patio” solo exhibition for Italian group DiVino, Hong Kong
- 2021 “Driven”, HKARTS x Mercedes, collective exhibition curated by HKARTS, Mercedes Centre, Hong Kong
- 2020 “HKARTS Collective Group Exhibition” curated by HKARTS, Hong Kong
- 2019 “15th Edition of the Asia Contemporary Art Show”, group exhibition, curated by Jason Sveinn and Mark Saunderson, Fabrik Gallery, Conrad Hotel, Hong Kong
- 2019 “A Projection of My Brain” solo exhibition, Naked Hub Gallery, Hong Kong
- 2018-19 “Roberta Boffo x Campio Marzio”, solo exhibition for Italian fashion house Campo Marzio, curated by Leonardo Bartocci and Roberto di Giorgio, Hong Kong
- 2018 “Transformation” solo exhibition, curated by Helen Boyd, H Studio Gallery, Hong Kong
- 2018 “Heart Walk Sai Kung”, art auction curated by Helen Boyd with more than 40 participating artists in support of charity House With Heart, H Studio Gallery, Hong Kong
Community & Social Projects
- 2020 Muralist (dona8on), 1ofaKind, Impact HK Charity, Hong Kong
- 2019 Muralist (dona8on), Love 21 Founda8on, Impact HK Charity, Hong Kong
- 2019 Presenter of a pain8ng workshop, Kowloon Junior School, Hong Kong
- 2019 Presenter of a pain8ng workshop, Li Po Chun United World College of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- 2018-2019 Adjudicator & Awards Presenter, IYACC Interna8onal Open Visual Arts Compe88on, Hong Kong
- 2022 “Infiniment Petit pour une Sensation Immense”, by Tchacc_Ben, Tchacc website, November 19, France
- 2022 “La Busqueda del Equilibrio entre el Blanco y el Negro”, by Abz, ABZ Impresion Digital, October 31, Spain
- 2021 “Mad World” by Kylie Knof, South China Morning Post (SCMP), November 28, Hong Kong
- 2021 Art & Freedom” by art critic Laurie Rojas, Caesura Issue 1, November, New York, US
- 2021 “For the Love of Art” by Cheyelene Fontanilla, Sai Kung Magazine, March, Hong Kong
- 2020 “Art for Life – With Italian Artist Roberta Boffo” by Shikha S. Lamba, Beyond the Boundaries Magazine, August 6, Hong Kong
- 2020 “The Art Manifestation in a World of Commerce” by Martina Ferrario, Chi Media website, July 16, China
- 2020 “Picture Perfect” by Nicole Slater, Sai Kung Magazine, March, Hong Kong
- 2019 “Five Minutes with Roberta Boffo” by Nicole Slater (cover art), Sai Kung Magazine, February, Hong Kong
- 2023 “Creative Catalogue Sixty-Five” by Becky Barsi, Creative Guts Podcast, February 22
- 2022 “Intuitive Art | Interview with Roberta Boffo” by Chloe Feng, Girl City, China Daily, August 21
- 2021 Interview with Marcia Sedoc, Non Solo Cacao, April
- 2019 “In Conversation with Abstract Artist Roberta Boffo” by Natalia Mota, Arta, November 22
- 2019 “Morning Brew”, Interview with Phil Whelan, RTHK RADIO 3, September
- 2019 “Morning Brew”, Interview with Phil Whelan, RTHK RADIO 3, February
- 2018 “Morning Brew”, Interview with Phil Whelan, RTHK RADIO 3, June
- 2009 – 2011 BA Marketing & Business Chinese, Peking Capital Normal University, Beijing, China
- 2005 – 2008 BA Asian Languages and Cultures, Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Italy
- 2000 – 2005 Liceo Linguistico, Istituto Superiore Antonio Scarpa, Oderzo, Italy
For Commissions & Collaborations
Statement & Portfolio
Shipping & Returns
Terms & Conditions
Fine Art Prints
Into The Wild (Originals)
Full Circle Series
The Age of Time
Nuances Of Life
As Featured In